I have spent the past two months researching and writing my newest online filmmaking course, the “Script Breakdown and Film Scheduling Online Course For Independent Filmmakers.”
This intensive online course goes live on Thursday, April 23, and it is based on my 20 years of first-hand experience as a First Assistant Director on TV movies, TV series and Hollywood feature films.
This is not a live workshop you have to attend. It is a 100% complete Internet based course you can instantly download onto your computer. (No DVD’s – No CD’s – No Shipping!)
I am very excited about the quality of the content I will be sharing with you in this course and so I thought I would reveal one section of this 110 (plus) page pdf manual with you today.
“I have been working in the film and TV industry for over 35 years and during that time I’ve had many young filmmakers ask me these same 5 questions:
1. How do I get into the film and television business?
2. How do I get people to notice my “obvious talents”?
3. How do I become a 3AD, 2AD, 1AD, PM, Director?
4. What are the tricks to getting work and surviving in this business?
5. How do I become successful?
Well, as you have probably guessed by now from your own experiences, there is no right answer – no one answer – no special secret! Yes…we all need to find our own way in.
But to guide you along the right path, I’ve come up with ten “factors” that I believe you need to have, learn or nurture to pursue your dream of working (and making a living) in this business:
1. experience (make videos, go to film school, work for free)
2. luck (being at the right place at the right time)
3. connections (who do you know, do you have a mentor)
4. passion (if you don’t have much of this, give up now)
5. determination (believe in yourself, persistence of vision)
6. creativity (we are all born with a special gift – what’s yours?)
7. business (learn how to run a business – you are a business)
8. marketing (learn how to market, promote and advertise yourself)
9. politics (learn and understand the “unspoken rules” of the film and television world)
10. win the lottery (or have a rich relative)
Now here’s where I’m going to give you probably my best piece of advice. It’s not original – you’ve probably heard me say this many times. It’s a quote from the legendary film director, Frank Capra:
“THERE ARE NO RULES IN FILMMAKING – ONLY SINS! AND THE CARDINAL SIN IS DULLNESS!”
I would like you to always remember this quote. And when you get up each morning and walk onto that set, refer to it often!
So what does all this have to do with finding a job? With getting noticed? With being successful?
I believe that to be successful in this business means:
1. you have an understanding of the POLITICS OF FILM!
2. you have a knowledge of who the POWER PLAYERS ARE AND HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM!
3. you need to know as much as you can about EVERYONE ELSE’S JOB!
4. you need to have a working KNOWLEDGE OF YOUR CRAFT!
5. you need to know WHAT IS EXPECTED OF YOU when you begin pre-production and when you step on the set.
6. but most of all, you have to have PASSION! Because some days that may be the only thing that will keep you going.”
I’m still working overtime right now putting the final touches on this course: adding more website reference links and creating script breakdown sheets, one liners and shooting schedules you can print out and use for your own reference.
On Thursday, April 23, this course will go live to the general public and I will be offering a substantial discount for the first 200 filmmakers who purchase this course, up to midnight (EST) on Sunday, April 26 (whichever comes first.)
Here’s how you can get on the Priority Notification List.
If you are interested in finding out more about this intensive 110 (plus) page Online course, please send your email address to email@example.com.
You will be automatically placed on the Priority Notification List so you can be contacted on how to access “The Script Breakdown and Film Scheduling Online Course For Independent Filmmakers” on Thursday, April 23.
So please mark your calendars and stay tuned for more information from me about this original film scheduling course in the next few days.
Thanks for your ongoing interest in professional filmmaking!
P.S. Are you interested in learning more about the duties of a 1st AD? The proper techniques for breaking down a script? The correct method of designing an accurate shooting schedule?
If you are, be sure to send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org so I can put you on the Priority Notification list.
On Thursday, April 23, I will send you the link where you can check out all the details about this online course including the price, content list, support materials and free bonuses.
P.P.S. This is not a live course you have to attend. It is a 100% Internet based course you can instantly download onto your computer. (No DVD’s – No CD’s – No Shipping!)